The decision to adopt a child is exciting, but navigating the process of adoption can be difficult and overwhelming. If you are a couple living in the United States and are interested in adopting, Family Services can help. Although we do not facilitate adoptions, Family Services can provide consultation and referral services to prospective adoptive parents who are living in the United States. During a consultation, you can receive general information about adoption. You might also receive referrals to community resources that can provide legal help, home study services, placement services, and other support during the adoption process.
In the United States, there are many legal steps in the adoption process, and community resources can help you with these steps. Adoptive couples may seek the following services from community resources:
- Pre-adoption education: It’s important to take a pre-adoption class to learn more about the adoption process, family adjustment, and other details you may need to know.
- Adoption home study: Before an adoption can occur, most states require an adoption home study. This is an evaluation by a mental health professional to verify that you are suitable to adopt.
- Placement provider: A placement provider is an agency, attorney, or other approved entity licensed to place a child in your home.
- Post-placement services: To meet legal requirements, several post-placement interviews take place before the adoption can be finalized. Working with post-placement services can also help your family adjust to changes.
- Legal services: It can be helpful to consult with someone about the legal requirements of adoption.
If needed, Family Services offices in the U.S. can consult with you to find a community service provider for these resources in your area. Family Services does not consult on international adoptions.
Listing Your Profile
Family Services maintains a section on Adoption.com of adoptive couples. This website is primarily used by Family Services staff working with single expectant parents who are making an adoption plan for their child and are searching for adoptive couples who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may be able to have your profile added to this site for a fee each month. This website is just one of many resources you can use in your journey to adopt. It can also be helpful to access additional placement services since only a small number of single expectant parents visit this site.
To list a profile on Adoption.com/LDS, an adoptive couple must meet the following criteria:
- Currently live in the United States of America.
- Have an endorsement from their bishop or branch president.
- Be sealed in the temple.
- Maintain current temple recommends.
- Have a current adoption home study.
Learn more about getting started with your profile.
At this time, Family Services can provide consultation and referral sources only to couples living in the U.S. If you live outside of the U.S., we encourage you to look for community resources that can help you through the adoption process in your country.